Following a few basic guidelines of proper ladder use and safety are the first step in preventing injuries.
A few tips include:
- Use the appropriate ladder for the job.
- Inspect the ladder for defects before using.
- Check to see if fall protection is needed.
- Place on a stable and level ground.
- Assure that load capacity is not exceeded.
- Use three points of contact while on the ladder.
- If a ladder is used to access an upper landing, the side rails must extend three feet beyond the upper landing.
- Place the ladder so that the horizontal distance from the top of the ladder to its base is approximately one-fourth of the working length of the ladder.