Housekeeping applies to all operations. Proper housekeeping in office locations, on construction sites, and fixed work facilities is essential to prevent fires as well as injuries resulting from slips, trips, and falls.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the site
- Require tools and equipment to be stowed at the end of the day
- Store supplies in locations away from walkways and in a manner that will not trip workers
- Keep weeds and vegetation away from stockpiled materials and walkways
- Maintain flooring and walkways in a clean, dry, smooth condition
- Dispose of construction debris in a timely manner
- Regularly inspect the work area for slip and trip hazards
- Office/shop locations inspect work areas at least semi-annually
- Construction sites inspect sites at least monthly
- Thoroughly investigate all injuries resulting from slips, trips and falls on site and correct conditions contributing to injuries.
Implementation of all these tips is not only the responsibility of management but of all involved. Good housekeeping promotes safety – we should all do our part!